life beyond school

I really think I’m settling into this post-graduate working-full-time thing.  After 4.5 years of no real hobbies, no real interests, and no real… well.. life… I am beginning to enjoy doing things again.   I’m not talking about hanging out at the bar, going to the movies, or shopping at the mall.  I’m referring to things like reading, exercising, cooking, theatre, and the great outdoors.  And while I still find a little fun in drinking beyond remembering and spending large amounts of cash on things that I never really needed in the first place, I feel a lot more fulfilled when I’m working on the latter activities.  I feel like I’m doing something that reaches beyond the next six hours without the nasty hangover that always hangs around the next morning.

While my job is very tedious, I’ll be listening to audio books so that I can at least achieve some sort of personal satisfaction out of the whole thing.  About 80% of the job is copying, pasting, formatting, and searching databases, but for the remaining 20% that requires a little logic, I can just turn on Jake Shimabukuro to help me reason things out.  I will probably try to complete a crossword puzzle every day as well since, to stay functional throughout the day, I have to take a lot of breaks.  Like I said – the job is tedious.  My ability to turn negatives into positives is something I pride myself on.

My budget contains a category where I can start saving to go to the theater, which is probably the most exciting part of my budget as a whole.  Although I am limiting my spending, I am doing it in a way that still allows me to participate in my interests.  And while I have been talking about attending these events for years, I’ve truthfully never really done it until getting here to Minnesota.  So perhaps I’ve had these interests all along, but  I never had the opportunity to act on them because of my financial constraints.  I have always told myself that I will never let my job interfere with my life, and although many things have changed regarding my opinions and interests, that statement has never altered in any way. 

I am just surprised at how well I have adjusted to the real world lifestyle.  I had thought that I would spend some more time moping around, missing college, when in fact I’m sitting here embracing the fact that I never have to go back.  Of course I’m not thrilled about the heap of debt that remains from my time there, but I don’t regret it either.  I have been able to accept that my time as an undergraduate has come and gone and it was a time in my life that I was lucky to have experienced.  After acknowledging how fast those 4 years went, I am better able to embrace the opportunities I have today.

Oh, and one more thing I would like to work on is my writing ability, but that’s what this blog is for.

I mentioned Jake Shimabukuro. I highly recommend “Blue Roses Falling”. It is one of my favorite songs of all time. Here a video of him playing it on youtube.

Advertisements
Explore posts in the same categories: Growing Up

Tags: , ,

You can comment below, or link to this permanent URL from your own site.

2 Comments on “life beyond school”

  1. Spanks Says:

    he’s the guy that does the insane cover of “while my guitar gently weeps” right?


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: